Friday, July 1, 2011

$99 Vacation. Really?

We've all seen those advertisements for dirt cheap vacations whether on tv, internet or newspapers. Every time, we instantly write them off as too good to be true. But are they really too good to be true? Or are we letting false perceptions keep us from having great experiences at ridiculously low costs. Well folks, when you read those articles and say to yourself: "yea right", you're only half correct. The truth is, you absolutely CAN have great vacations for a fraction of the regular cost, but there is a catch. The catch is: Timeshare presentations. I must admit, this deal is only for cheapskates with an iron will and a firm affinity for the word NO.
Recently, my family and I had a cheap vacation to Hilton Head Island, S.C. Fuel to and from our home town was the only major cost involved. For $99 we purchased a 3 day/2 night stay at a very nice resort and were also given $100 in gift vouchers for meals at partnered restaraunts throughout the beach area. When the 90 minute sales presentation concluded, we were rewarded with another voucher for a 3 day/ 2 night vacation with no sales presentation to sit through and the cost for this one was only $50 to boot.
I really wish I could say that it was that easy however. I would'nt be doing you any favors if I made it seem like this is such a pleasant thing to put yourself through. The sales presentations given by these timeshare companies can sometimes be brutal. The salesmen hired by these companies are quite literally, the cream of the crop. They can sell ketchup popsicles to women in white gloves so to speak. Honestly, even if you're like me and find absolutely no value what so ever in timeshares, they will make your mouth water at the thought of being a partial owner in this "exclusive club" for high society vacationers. And at such an affordable cost too, so they say.
For me, some of these guys are slime. They make you feel like garbage when you say no or show any signs of objection. From the first smile and handshake, they are busy picking apart your every move and every word to find an angle to sell you what I believe to be a worthless expense. Oh they will be your best friend and show you the utmost courtesy from beginning until (almost) end. They'll have an ice cold soda for you, snacks and other refreshments, etc. But the moment you begin to say no or "let me think about it" their attitude can change on a dime.
This last guy we had the unfortunate chance to deal with was a picture perfect "good cop, bad cop" all by himself. He really tried to get on a personal level with us by trying to make himself our new best friend. Then turned into the biggest baby when we said no. He attacked us and tried to make us feel guilty for wasting his time. He made us appear to be liars saying that the formula they use to attract people to these things should be able to afford this timeshare if they told the truth on the questionnaire.
That last line was where I put my foot down and had to play along with his game. I too, had been very polite and cordial during the presentation and even during his tantrum. But when he called me a liar in front of a room full of people staring at the table with raised voices, I had enough. I had to get vocal with the man and let him know that I was not about to sit by while he insulted me in front of my wife and children. Long story short, I told the guy he needed to vanish quickly before he forced me to do something we would both regret.
What started as a phone call with an operator saying "no obligation" "guilt free vacation" "enjoy the beach on us" ended up being a nightmare for 90 minutes. But if you ask me would I do it again, the answer will always be: absolutely! Where else can you get a deal this cheap and make memories to last a lifetime with your family out of town? I havent found anywhere else which is why I find so much value in these timeshare pitches. If you would like to get in on the deals just go on over to http://www.vacationplay.tv/ and see if you are eligible too. But you have been warned. Deals like this come with a catch and you need to be willing to take a dose of punishment for the greater good. If this type of vacation even seems like it may be a hassle, your hunch will be right and will be magnified when you experience this for yourself. These salesmen are INTENSE!

No comments:

Post a Comment