Friday, July 1, 2011

Supermarket Showdown 6/27/11

I just wanted to share a great success story about our most recent trip to Harris Teeter, coupons in hand. Until the super double promotion ends tonight at midnight, there is still a great opportunity to find amazing deals. Keep in mind the stores coupon policies are always against us though. You may only double 3 identical coupons per transaction and there is a limit of 20 coupons per day that may be double per household. My wife had to go with me to use her rewards card on separate transactions so we could limit the amount of time we were holding up the line. So here is what our coupons bought us:

20 Large bottles of Lysol brand toilet cleaner retail valued at $2.99 each

15 Boxes of Hormel Compleats microwave meals retail valued at $2.47 each

12 boxes of Reynolds aluminum foil retail valued at $3.99 each

10 packs of Orbit Gum retail valued at $1.29 each

Grand total of this purchase was $169.85 after tax yet we only spent $17.24 for all this stuff! I know, I know. Who needs 20 bottles of toilet bowl cleaner? Not me either. But I bet 3 years from now I still won't need any. I wonder how much money I could or would have spent in that timeframe on products that clean our crapper. A lot more than I just spent upfront that's for sure. The biggest key in the coupon game is building the stockpile. I've read a lot of recent articles that say couponing brings out the worst in people and it makes normally good-natured people bring the claws out when hunting for great deals. I've also heard it said that it's unfair to other consumers when couponers buy 20 of an item and leave none for others. To that I would simply respond: I'm sorry. I don't do what I do to offend anyone. I do what I do because I'm a good father that loves my family and will do anything I can to make a dollar go further than others think possible. I do it so when the time comes and the kiddos need something, I don't have to look in their sad faces and say: Sorry, don't have the money for that. Happy hunting people!

No comments:

Post a Comment